Summer Work Experience for High School Students
CHS Employment Services is passionate about connecting individuals to opportunities. The Summer Work Experience program was established to provide an option for high school-age students interested in gaining employment skills prior to graduation.
Summer Work Experience (SWE) is a CHS collaboration with Vocational Rehabilitation. It is a six-week extensive program for high school students to gain valuable on-the-job employment experience. The SWE program is currently available in Benton, Henry, Johnson, Pettis, and Saline counties.
If you are seeking information about employment services and opportunities for adults with disabilities, visit our Employment Support for Adults page.
Are you an employer looking to hire an individual with disabilities? Visit our Employer Support page to learn more about how we can match your job openings with talented people.
Summer Work Experience for High School Juniors and Seniors
Between the months of June, July, and August, students are offered 120 hours of paid work experience at one of our multiple partnership job locations. During the 6-week program, students will work with a job coach to develop the following work-related skills:
- Communication - Students will learn communication and problem-solving skills through daily work tasks and responsibilities.
- Teamwork - Students will learn how to work with others, collaborate, and use conflict resolution to thrive in their work environment.
- Employment Skills - Students will learn interview skills, resume and application etiquette, and accountability.
To participate in the CHS Summer Work Experience program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be entering their junior or senior year of high school (age 16+)
- Must have a documented disability, IEP, or 504 Plan
- Must be a legal U.S. resident and legally able to work
Students must also be able to provide the following forms of identification:
- Missouri State ID or Drivers License
- Social Security Card
- Direct Deposit Information